Museum Night Fever returns from 19:00-01:00 on Saturday 23 October 2021. This edition marks the return of the night of museums in Brussels after its cancellation in 2020 when it was originally due to take place on 14 March.
For its 14th edition, Museum Night Fever aims to bring back the party atmosphere and breathe new life into the 29 participating museums. This unique night of museums in Brussels is the ideal setting for a thousand young talents – both individuals and groups – to let their artistic imagination run wild.
Young artists from all disciplines draw inspiration from the unparalleled collections and current exhibitions to transform the participating museums into their playground for the night. Museum Night Fever allows emerging artists to experiment, and museums to try out new ways of interacting with their audience: both regular museum-goers and those who don’t go so often. For visitors, this is the perfect opportunity to spend a whole night exploring the surprising creations in an electrifying atmosphere.
The 2019 edition of Museum Night Fever attracted a record number of around 17,000 visitors, 75% of which were young people under 30. But even still, visiting a museum isn’t the first thing most people think of when planning a fun activity. That’s why this year we want to shake off that formal image once and for all.
During the evening, visitors can explore a variety of museums. On the programme we have: concerts, performances, artistic installations, film, slam, an immersive installation about the Senne river, clouds to daydream to, lots of passion and – you’ve guessed it – plenty of surprises. In short, a wild night with something for everyone.
Throughout the evening, STIB-MIVB shuttles depart from the Place Royale and run between the different museums. Food trucks line the route to keep hunger at bay!
MUSEUM NIGHT FEVER WITH COVID SAFE TICKET
The non-profit organisation Brussels Museums is happy to finally be able to give creation, celebration and joie de vivre a place in the city once more. But rest-assured, while this is a large-scale event, everything has been organised in line with current health regulations. This means you will need a Covid Safe Ticket to attend the event.
More concretely, each participant over 12 years old must present 1 valid entry ticket, 1 valid Covid Safe Ticket, and proof of identity during their first visit to one of the participating museums. Here they will receive a Museum Night Fever wristband.
We are convinced that culture and art deserve a space, for all our mental wellbeing, to allow artists to return to work, and to make museums accessible to everyone. This is why we are providing a limited number of rapid antigen tests for anyone who will not have a Covid Safe Ticket by 23 October. These need to be booked and paid for (€5) when purchasing an entrance ticket.
WHAT TO SEE DURING MUSEUM NIGHT FEVER 2021? 29 museums participate in the 2021 edition
The museums that will be joining us for this very special night are: Grand Serment Royal et de Saint-Georges des Arbalétriers de Bruxelles, ARGOS centre for audiovisual arts, Royal Museum of the Armed Forces, Art et Marges Museum, Autoworld, Museum of the National Bank of Belgium, BELvue Museum, CINEMATEK, CIVA, Boghossian Foundation (Villa Empain), GardeRobe MannekenPis, Halles Saint-Géry, ING Art Center, House of European History, The King’s House, MIMA, MoMuse, Jewish Museum of Belgium, Fashion & Lace Museum and WIELS.
After a period of absence, some museums are also making a comeback this year: Belgian Comic Strip Center, Le Botanique and the Wiertz Museum.
In addition, some museums are also taking part for the first time: KBR, Sewer Museum, Fondation A Stichting, ULB – Physics Experimentarium, Géopolis – Centre for Photojournalism and Maison des Arts.
More than a hundred events put young creation in the spotlight for this year’s programme:
- – Mix objects from the MoMuse with paintings from the Micro-Folie? The young #Imagine1080 Molenbeek residents were happy to rise to the challenge. Want to see what they came up with? Visit the different spaces along an illuminated path and be captivated by a VJ set to the sound of a unique live performance!
- – Cabaret Mademoiselle’s troupe of drag artists, burlesque strippers, circus acts, comedians and musicians steal the show at Brussels City Museum, blowing the dust off the artworks and spicing up the exhibition with unforgettable performances.
- – Dancing, singing…anything goes at this party at BELvue Museum so long as you’re having fun! There’s slam, poetry, pole dancing…plus you can visit not one but two temporary exhibitions, all while discovering what makes Belgium tick.
- – Dive into Antoine Wiertz’s rebellious world full of paradoxes while listening to the imaginary letter written to him by R. H. Quaytman. Let yourself be carried away by the fluid movements of the Brussels circus school dancers in this setting that is both intimate and impressive, the Wiertz Museum.
- – You thought you knew the Art et Marges Museum inside out? Think again! For one night only, the museum gets its best makeover yet as it exhibits the work of nail artist Chloé Momi and plastic artist Thily Vossier. A hybrid look that mixes the world of sculpture and nail art, accompanied by two DJ sets.
A NEW LOOK FOR OUR TOP EXHIBITIONS
Museum Night Fever is without doubt an unmissable event for anyone wanting to visit several must-see exhibitions this season. The new-look exhibitions at the 29 museums include:
- – ROTFLOL at ING Art Center! Let Tadam take you on a totally quirky tour of the collection during the Hahaha. The Humor of Art exhibition!
- – Dress to impress in Brussels! Designer Maxime Edward introduces you to recycling and upcycling during the Brussels Touch fashion exhibition, in the Fashion and Lace Museum. At his workshop you’ll learn how to make accessories and customise T- shirts.
- – Fluffy white clouds float on by over the Maison des Arts. This little gem, tucked away in a corner of Schaarbeek, opens its doors for the exhibition Nuages. A DJ set from Schaarbeek locals Thousands of Poppies creates the ideal atmosphere for contemplation. A dream-like backdrop with clouds that light up in time with the music sets the tone.
- – Choices, choices at the MIMA with two exhibitions Double Bill: Will it be cult film posters with Laurent Durieux or the history of the Brussels porn industry The ABC of Porn? Whatever you decide, musician Sarah Carlier will heat up your evening with her intoxicating grooves.
- – Fakers gonna Fake! At the House of European History, the FAKE FOR REAL exhibition takes you to a world where you can no longer tell what’s real and what’s not. Can you tell the real stories from the fake ones? Will you be the champion of our Fake Quiz? Immerse yourself in the fake world of CirQ and learn more about fakes throughout history! Fake it until you make it out of this Fake Labyrinth!
Museum Night Fever 23/10/2021 19:00-01:00
In 29 Brussels museums
Tickets & more info via: www.museumnightfever.be
Price: €17 on the day of the event. Shuttles and Noctis night buses included.
An info point will be set up on Place Royale from 20 October. With your Museum Night Fever wristband you can use the STIB-MIVB shuttles between the museums, as well as the Noctis night buses.