What are the best English-language libraries and bookstores in Brussels? We often receive this question from the newcomers but also from locals and long-time expats. Here is the list of places that have a good stock of books and magazines in English.
- Muntpunt. Dutch-language public library in the centre of Brussels offers a wide variety of books in English. It also boasts a good choice of magazines and periodicals. The library also has a lot of different spaces and offers a good place for reading and studying. Muntpunt is located right next to the La Monnaie, the Opera building.
- Waterstones – probably a biggest English bookstore in Brussels, with biggest selection of books and magazines. Located in the city centre (Adolphe Max 71-75) on the way from Rogier to De Brouckere.
- Sterling books – this is an independent shop featuring a variety of fiction & non-fiction English language books for all ages. Located in Rue du Fossé aux Loups 23, close to the new WOLF food market.
- Pele Mele. This is a second-hand bookstore with several locations in the city – Brussels, Ixelles and Waterloo. They offer a very interesting selection of English books, often acquired from diplomats and other professional expats who had to move to new posts.
- Tulibris in Ixelles. Located just near the Fernand Coq square, this bookstore offers a good selection of second-hand English books.
- Passa Porta bookshop. It is also the international house of literature, this place is one of Belgium’s best multilingual bookshops. There is a good selection of English language books from novels and poetry to children’s books and non-fiction.
We also suggest to check these places:
- Librebook. A different concept of the bookstore – offers a selection of contemporary fiction in about 20 European languages. Many titles are available in English, especially translations from less know literature and authors. Here you can find a unique mix of books, from local Belgian Flemish and French-speaking literature to those in Maltese or Luxembourgish. The bookstore favours multicultural experiences in literature so it also includes authors with diverse backgrounds, such as writers from non-European origins writing in French or Dutch, or authors from Spanish or Slavic origins writing in German…
- Oxfam store in Ixelles. It offers some a selection of second-hand English books
- Filigranes. A mainly french-language bookstore but has a selection of English language books. Located near Arts Loi metro station.